Position: Principal Architect / Partner
B.ARCH (Natal), Arch (S.A.) M.I.A A.Arb.,
Dip. EIM (UCT).I.A
B.Arch (Natal) Arch (S.A.) M.I.A., A.Arb., Dip. EIM (UCT)
Integrated Environmental Management Diploma, UCT 1985
Institute of Directors Corporate Governance Diploma 1996
Phillip Thompson has had an extensive career in the fields of architecture, property development and management since graduating with a bachelor of architecture from the University of Natal in 1980.
This includes having worked as an architect in Southern Africa, North America and the Caribbean. From 1985 to 1993 with a broader based focus on community participation in development, environmental access and universal design, which has offices in Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, East London and Umtata.
- South African Council for the Architectural Profession- Membership No. PrArch 3513
- South African Institute of Architects- Membership No. CIA 6440
- Western Cape Institute of Architects
- South African Association of Arbitrators
- Member of ARCPEACE
- Member of the International Commission on Technology and Accessibility
- Member of the Global Alliance for Accessibility Technology and Environments
He has a broad base of expertise covering the fields of architecture, urban development and he has become the foremost specialist in the field of environmental accessibility and universal design in South Africa and currently holds the position of Chairperson for the African Chapter of the International Committee on Technology and Accessibility.He has extensive experience in the field of corporate governance and has held both executive and non-executive director positions both in large national commercial and non-commercial entities in South Africa. In line with his commitment to his profession he served on the Umhlanga Rocks Development Control Committee from 1987 to 1998, and as a member of the South African Tourism Board (SATOUR) has been directly involved with evaluating and developing of hospitality standards, as chairman of the SATOUR Standards and Grading Committee up until the inception of the newly constituted South African Tourism Grading Council and is serving a second term as council member on the Council.
He is a board member of the Tourism and Sport, Standard Education and Training Authority (THETA) and has served as a non-executive director of Transnet Ltd, the V and A Waterfront and chairperson of the V and A Waterfront Marina and the Transnet Property Trust, He is currently a non-executive director of Equity Aviation, as well as holding a Trusteeship of the Thabo Mbeki Development Trust.
Having embraced the philosophy of universal design and universal access he has been commissioned as specialist advisors to national agencies such as the Airports Company of South Africa, the South African Rail Commuter Corporation, Metrorail, the City of Cape Town, the City of Durban, the University of KwaZulu Natal, the National Department of Public Works, the Western Cape Provincial Government, and the South African National Parks.
Specific Area of Expertise :
Environmental accessibility and universal design
Integrated environmental assessment and management
Appropriate information technology applications
During his career as an architect he has been directly responsible for a range of different architectural projects including:
- Shell Chemicals Office Block, Prospecton, Durban.
- La Lucia Office Block, La Lucia Mall, Umhlanga.
- Old Mutual Office Block, Kingsfield Place, Durban.
- Southbroome Housing Estate, Southbroome.
- Janots French Restaurant, San Francisco – USA.
- Swiss National Bank Tourist Offices, San Francisco – USA.
- Credit Agricole Bank, New Bank, San Francisco – USA.
- Commercial Office Block, St Martin – Netherlands Antilles
- Windward Island Bank, New Bank, St Martin – Netherlands Antilles
- Luxury Houses, St Martin – Netherlands Antilles
- San Marina Apartments, Umhlanga Rocks, a luxury apartment block
- Pebble Grove Apartments, Umhlanga Rocks, a luxury apartment block and duplexes
- Chatsworth Sports Stadium (in association), an athletic and football stadium, with associated facilities.
- Mzamba Village Market & Cultural Centre, an arts and crafts market for Transido.
- Hultrans Durban Transport Depot, transport depot and related facilities.
- Transkei Schools Hostel Programme for Transkei Government.
- PRD high-rise office development in Umtata (in association).
- New Ntakemazolo Senior Secondary School Mpumalanga for the Kwa Zulu Government.
- Mdepha Secondary School for the Kwa Zulu Government.
- Mpumulanga Senior Secondary School for the Kwa Zulu Department of Education and Culture.
- Kwadinabakubo Secondary School for the Department of Education and Training.
- New inspectorate offices at Mpumulanga for the Kwa Zulu Government.
- Vukuzenzele Special School, Bizana for the School Board.
- Nompumalanga Special School, Bizana for the School Board.
- Gamalakhe Secondary School, Izotcha, for the KZN Provincial Government.
- Umbumbulu Circuit Office, Umbumbulu, for the KZN Provincial Government.
- Port Shepstone Circuit Office and Housing, Gamalake, for the KZN Provincial Government.
- Umzinto Circuit Office and Housing, Dududu, for the KZN Provincial Government.
- Kwa Mashu Circuit Office and Housing, Kwa Mashu, for the KZN Provincial Government.
- Ezulwini Luxury Apartments, Marine Drive Umhlanga Rocks.
- Gainsborough Housing Complex, Durban North.
- Windermere Road Apartments, Durban.
- 46 Lagoon Drive Apartments, Umhlanga.
- Langa Civic Centre, Langa, Cape Town.
- Khayalitsha Social Security Centre, Khayalitsha, Cape Town.
- Victoria and Alfred Marina, Cape Town- Chairman of the Board of Directors
- Victoria and Alfred Marina, Cape Town- Director
- Programme of upgrading station for Intersite, Western Cape.
- Three Arts mixed use retail, offices and housing, Western Cape.
- Neva Place, luxury housing development, Constantia, Western Cape.
- Bishoplea, town house, Claremont, Western Cape.
- Kommetjie Town House Development, Western Cape.
- Cape Manor Hotel, Seapoint, Western Cape.
- Wingate Apartments, Seapoint, Western Cape.
- Tankatara mixed use housing development, Eastern Cape.
Urban planning projects include:
- La Repose Resort – Alexandria, Eastern Cape
- Swanlake Development – Aston Bay, Eastern Cape
- Tankatara Devleopment – Sundays River, Eastern Cape
Universal access projects include:
- Sun International Hotels
- SOLIDERE and City of Beirut
- Golden Arrow Bus Services
- Waterfront Holding and Development Companies
- Prince Salman Centre for Disability Research
- Kerzner International
- National Building Regulations SANS 10400 Advisory Committee
- Prince Salman Centre for Disability Research
- Gautrain – Gauteng
- 2010 Stadia – Johannesburg, Pretoria, Bafokeng Polekwane, Mbombela, Durban, Nelson
- Mandela Bay, Cape Town,
- PRASA – various centres on the national communter rail network.